Wednesday, October 29, 2014

ON THE ROAD WITH JANIS JOPLIN!


THE NEW BOOK IS OUT TODAY.....
 
The super new book is called On the Road with Janis Joplin.
and it's written by John Byrne Cook, author, musician, occasional actor, Harvard-educated son of erudite British broadcaster Alistair Cooke, and great-grandnephew of
Ralph Waldo Emerson!
 
Monday night in Cambridge before the big release I got the rare opportunity to meet John, and listen to a talk at a preview book signing. 
As close to Janis as I can get
 
As her road manager, John was there with Janis all the way! He showed his own private footage of what it was like being on the road with the one and only Janis. I was spellbound. And the soundtrack featuring Joplin was sublime. I have always been fascinated by that woman. She really was smart, funny, and supremely talented!
 
For anyone who might question this, or those young ones who may not be familiar with her voice, please, I urge you to just listen to her first album Cheap Thrills or the Pearl. Here is a link. www.janisjoplin.com
Even if you think you know Janis she is well worth another look!
 
I was only a young girl while she was doing her thing and rocketing to super stardom but man there was something about her that really drew me in. One thing I particularly admired was that she was not afraid to be different. She sat there with Dick Cavett with feathers and boas and just full-tilt confidence. That white woman could sing the blues.
 
I really dug that the post office recently issued a Janis Joplin stamp.
They used this picture.

I guess she influenced me more than I realized

I have another picture from when I was about twelve years old and I have on big round Janis glasses exactly like the ones she has on in the picture above. I wanted to place it here but like the sixties themselves it must have faded away...

Let's celebrate, and keep alive that funky, wild and free spirit that Janis epitomizes. Here at Ageless we wish you love, peace, and a groovy day....
 
Rest in peace Janis. You have taken a little piece of our hearts....
 
 

2 comments:

Michael said...

You are a trend setter and seem to know all the cool singers/artists.
You always seem to keep us updated on what's happening!. Cool thing!

Anonymous said...

Those were the days my friend when we had fun.... Memories keep coming back...

Post a Comment