Monday, May 3, 2010

CELEBRATE YOUR BIRTHDAY...


Ever since the ninth grade, I have worn a pin that says, Celebrate Life! With that in mind, you know when it comes to my birthday, May 3rd, I am going to be extra merry, and find ways to have even more fun than I usually do. Over the years, on my birthday, I have done everything from pretending to be a rock star in Vermont, and renting a tour bus for the day, indulging in tea at one of the Mansions in Newport Rhode Island, to setting up a soulful sojourn at the Abbey, where I shared my homemade cake with the brothers, monks, and priests, after prayers.

Some of my friends call the month of May, Renee-A-Palooza. One likes to say, Rah-May-A-Palooza! They say that because, I take my enjoy life, glad to be alive way of being up a notch or two. Pretty much the entire month is relished in some way, and why not? Quite simply, I am elated to be alive and healthy, and able to write to you. Right now, I have a tall French Vanilla-Hazelnut Godiva Ice-Coffee beside me, and my 86 year-old Great Aunty, who I adore, is content in the next room looking at fashion magazines while I fan her in between paragraphs.

This year, I started celebrating my birthday a week early, with a Tickled Pink Party. A few days later, a friend took me out to a French Bistro for al fresco dining. We sipped champagne and enjoyed escargot, under enormous, fully opened umbrellas…

Then, I kicked off the month on May 1st by spending the weekend at a writer’s conference. Can you imagine the sheer delight I felt when Anita Shreve (International Best-selling author, including penning Oprah’s Pick, The Pilot’s Wife) used the words “well-written,” when referring to part of my memoir which was read during what they call, Literary Idol. This event is when several writers agree to have the first page of their manuscript read aloud before agents, or in this case, famous writers. They warn you, it is not for the faint of heart. Her comment alone was probably the best birthday gift I could receive. Miss Shreve then posed for a picture with me. I put it next to the other photos of myself with famous writers (see my post me talk pretty to Dave). Using the laws of attraction, I believe that one day someone will want a picture with me, once my books come out.

Birthday Bonus: If you continue to follow this blog, filled with simple ways on how to live well, have fun, and keep yourself ageless, you will continue to have plenty of reasons to enjoy celebrating the day you were born. Happy Birthday to all the May Babies….

Ageless Tip of the Week: BE THANKFUL FOR SOMETHING EVERY DAY. WHEN YOU DO THAT, MORE AND MORE THINGS TO BE GRATEFUL FOR SHOW UP IN YOUR LIFE.

How about sharing some ways you celebrate your birthday…. I would love to hear from you…



3 comments:

Kittie Howard said...

Happy, Happy Birthday! Love your zest for life! And congrats at receiving such an accolade at the conference. I've got warm feelings you're on the edge of something big. Yea!!

pam said...

And I was one of the lucky ones to share the Tickled Pink Party with you. It was fabulous!!

Unknown said...

This makes me want to shout HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post a Comment