Monday, February 11, 2013

"FEEL MY LOVE NOW..."


What the snow brings…

Here in the North East we just experienced a winter blizzard. It was glorious to see what seemed like billions of snowflakes flurrying around town. In those moments of deep silence when the snow is falling and you can somehow feel eternity its amazing what comes up. As I stood on a little wooden bridge at the foot of many tall trees I could feel the profound love from my late Aunty and Uncle D right to the core. Most of you know by now I was exceptionally close with them since birth. The three of us shared a tiny two bedroom apartment for many years and were utterly happy and content.

Uncle D was always looking out for me. Whenever it snowed my uncle would always warn me ahead of time of the icy spots in the road. When he came home from his morning ride to get the Scalia bread (a signature bread of the Italian community in the Boston area) he would help me clear off my car. Aunty would always be inside preparing homemade cocoa and lightly toasting that soft Italian bread and covering it with melted butter every single time it snowed. I think my Uncle really enjoyed the snow too. I can still hear Uncle D saying,  “The snow cleans the air.”  And till this day, with every snowfall I somehow revert back to life with these two benevolent human beings, who even in death, are looking out for me. They perpetually show me love and it's well-received!

Aunty's Hat Protects Me From the Elements

Yesterday, as I trudged through the twenty-four inches of  snow  to get to my car I brought Aunty and Uncle with me. I wore Aunty’s warm and lovely black fur hood. She would always wear this comforting hat in the snow to stay warm. Well it did the same for me as you can clearly see in the above pictures. It felt as if she were still there keeping me safe. She was saying, "Let my hat keep you warm." Feeling her love was tremendous. 

My car was covered in snow and it was going to be hard work to remove it all. 
my car is there somewhere




But, I had some help from my Uncle. Uncle D was an ace with putting things together and puttering around with materials. He made this special brush for snow removal and reinforced it with heavy tape.



 It still works just fine especially for icy windows. Here you can see that with the help from my beloved Uncle I was able to clear off my car a little easier. It was if he were right there with me. I know he was. I could hear him saying, “Over here chicken.” That was his endearing little nickname for me, winter, spring, summer, and fall.

Next time the snow eases down from the heavens, or you have some quiet time…reflect on the love from your dearly departed loved ones. They will show up. You’ll feel it. Many believe they are already here. And they take many forms.

4 comments:

Michael said...

What a nostaligic post! Very touching!!! My mom would make coffee for evening tea, but never gave us any since we were too young to drink it. To this day, certain coffee aromas, create that same and special memories of warmth for me. Also it seemed like mainly on cold days, she would bake home made bread and the whole house would have this amazing and homely smell to it. I felt LOVE just like you and I knew I had/have a home as a kid with my brothers. This brings a tear for me. Thanks for reliving my own experiences after soooo many, many years. Love the post!!!!! sob, sob sob and still more sob.............

Anonymous said...

Renee, you have a wonderful writing style and personality that can emote a person's soul. Don't ever lose sight of what is important in one's life or yours - values, integrity, honesty, family, love, and sense of self. Let the snow flakes begin again! by AG

brianamet said...

This is probably the most amazing thing you've ever written. Yes, we are all lucky to have such beautiful memories. Thank you.

Nawang P Phuntsho said...

Seems you had great fun out in the snow. Unfortunately in Bhutan we didn't receive much except on the high mountains. They are yet to melt. Good day Renee! Cheers!

Post a Comment