Sunday, October 25, 2015

HE SAW ME STANDING THERE!


"Oh My God! Oh My God!" Those were the only words to come out of my mouth! I mean what other words are there to express the epitome of joy when you are standing face to face with a Beatle?! Yes, you heard that right…A Beatle!  To be more exact, Ringo Starr of the Beatles...



His show this past Friday night at the Boston Wang Center was sold out. I had no ticket.  I showed up at the box office any way. It is a once in a lifetime opportunity when a Beatle comes to your neighborhood. After forty minutes in the cold, and two minutes before curtain my friend and I scored two tickets for forty dollars each (all we had on us). The catch was we couldn’t sit together. My extraordinarily generous friend gave me the 150.00 orchestra ticket! I was getting closer to the dream (to see one of the Beatles up close) beat by beat…

 
We could hear the music starting and the fans screaming! Before I even had a chance to tell my friend we can share the seats he was gone…way up to his seat in the last row. But, At least we were in, and so I scurried towards my seat.

The first song was the rousing “Matchbox!” It’s fabulous and I vividly remember it from the Beatles Album “Something New!”  I simply could not contain myself and so, instead of going directly to my seat, I made a fast detour down the aisle and stood a few feet away from the stage. In all the sheer excitement (A Beatle in the house) no one stopped me. There I was. Ringo Starr was looking right at me. I was overcome with pure bliss. It was like my shoes had springs and I was standing on stilts. Any more of a natural high might be illegal. That opening song “Matchbox,” brought me immediately back to my youth and Big Time Beatlemania! Then he went right into “It Don’t Come Easy!” Ringo's good karma permeated the place…
The show was super incredible and his “All Starr Band” was stellar.  Each member of his band is famous in their own right. They played some incredible songs from their own bands like O Ye Como Va, and Rosanna, to Todd Rundgren’s I Saw the Light. I just couldn’t sit down. But, we were all there to see and hear Ringo. And, when I say hear, I would have paid money just to HEAR him speak. He’s RINGO!!!!You recognize the voice instantly and your knees go weak.  When he played “Yellow Submarine” and “I Get By with a Little Help From My Friends”…I made a mad dash and leaped towards the stage! I HAD TO PAY MY HOMAGE. In the realm of songs and superstars this was the Big Band!   
Since I stood only a few feet away from Ringo, (see third picture down) I can actually say he saw me standing there! How could he not? I was jumping up and down. And, when I wasn’t screaming, I was bowing and making peace signs. I was in full glee and glory!  It felt like my entire life and the exuberance and reverence I have for the music were condensed in those few minutes. This phenomenal night was all the more special having seen the Beatles (with Aunty and Uncle D no less) when I was eight years old and stayed a fan for the rest of my life. And , there I was all these years later standing before Ringo, AND, indirectly the Beatles, again! I am so grateful.
                                                           
For more about Ringo and his All Star Band go to : https://www.bostonglobe.com/arts/music/2015/10/17/ringo-starr-makes-artful-return-wang/5OQ7hopjcO0z7KIbSKbQgL/story.html

3 comments:

brianamet said...

Beatlemania..there's no way to describe it, you just had to be a part of it, as we were. How lucky you are to have been inspirationally renewed it it's glow!

Michael said...

I too saw Ringo and he was incredible!!! He looked great and sounded great as well as being great. It was just a Great night! His well chosen band was fantastic.Wonderful memories.

Anonymous said...

What a night!!! Ringo was a crowd pleaser and true entertainer. the whole theater was packed to capacity and everyone enjoyed every minute. You got to see him on his next performance if you are a Beatle fan.

Post a Comment