Monday, April 4, 2011

MY NEIGHBOR TOTORO...

In my last post about Tonia, I promised to tell you about Totoro. So, we go from Tonia to Totoro….

Totoro is the star of one of my favorite films of all time, My Neighbor Totoro, or, since it is Japanese…Tonari no Totoro.
This stunningly animated film by the legendary Japanese animator, Hayao Miyazaki, is a whimsical adventure fueled by the innocence of a little girl. Watching My Neighbor Totoro is a big night out for your inner child. Totoro is a gigantic, lovable, forest spirit, who resembles an enormous bunny rabbit. He guides and protects two young sisters while their mother is recuperating in the hospital. You will find him holding an umbrella over the girls when it rains, letting them sleep on his soft cuddly belly, flying them through the sky, and calling the Cat Bus when they need a lift. It’s a magical and mystical film where the natural and spirit world is embraced. This film is a rare delight. I recommend it so highly, I feel like I am shouting down to you from a bright blue sky!
                                                
For anyone nine months old to 109, looking for some real movie magic, or to simply feel good, rent the DVD My Neighbor Totoro. There is now a Disney version in English, or, you can look for the Japanese version with subtitles. Both are enchanting and truly ageless….


I love the Japanese culture. My heart has been deeply saddened lately with the devastation and subsequent disasters resulting from the tsunami. The Japanese people are resilient and strong. It is in their honor I watch Totoro again and again…..

May I mention too, the Totoro Forest Project:
A fund raising exhibition/auction to support the national trust Totoro Forest Foundation that Oscar winning film maker Hayao Miyazaki has been helping over the years, featuring original art created by internationally acclaimed artists in the fields of animation, comic books, and illustration. http://www.totoroforestproject.org/




~photo from Totoro Forest Project~

No comments:

Post a Comment